Spray Polyurethane Foam, commonly referred to as SPF is a spray-applied insulating foam plastic that is installed as a liquid and then expands many times its original size. It has been called Spray Foam, Urethane Foam, Polyurethane Foam, or just Foam Insulation. There are 2 types of Spray Foam; Open Cell Foam and Closed Cell Foam. Each type of foam insulation has its own specific characteristics. Specialized equipment is used to apply the Spray Polyurethane Foam and proper technical training is important in order to get the best results.
Spray Polyurethane Foam is environmentally friendly or “Green” because it contains no formaldehyde or ozone depleting chemicals, saves energy* and reduces the use of fossil fuels, thereby reducing global warming gases. It also assists in providing good indoor air quality, requires less energy to produce than the leading insulation, and reduces the amount of energy required to transport and install it. Spray Polyurethane Foam is durable, maintains physical properties over time, contributes little to the waste stream, and in a single product (depending on the formula and project) can take the place of three-four other products, including insulation, air barriers, sealants, vapor retarders, and weather barriers.
*Spray Polyurethane Foam reduces energy use in the following ways:
- Has high R-value per inch (open-cell 3.5 per inch and closed-cell 6.5 per inch)
- Eliminates air infiltration
- Helps control moisture and condensation
- Reduces convective currents in walls and attics
- Eliminates wind washing
- Effective at low and high temperatures
- Provides the correct environment so that the ventilation system performs more efficiently
Other benefits include...
- Closed cell Spray Polyurethane Foam adds structural strength and glues a building together, thereby making it more resistant to racking events, such as hurricanes and high winds.
- Closed-cell Spray Polyurethane Foam can provide an added barrier against water intrusion.
- Spray Polyurethane Foam reduces drafts and increases comfort.
- Spray Polyurethane Foam helps maintain a comfortable, constant, temperature throughout the building, from room to room and floor to floor.
- Spray Polyurethane Foam assists in improving indoor air quality.
- Spray Polyurethane Foam reduces the infiltration of outside air pollutants and soil gases.
- Spray Polyurethane Foam can reduce moisture condensation and mold growth within the building walls and roof.
- Excellent insulation efficiency of Spray Polyurethane Foam can reduce heating and cooling usage dramatically.
- HVAC equipment can be down-sized, thereby reducing construction costs.
- Spray Polyurethane FOAM will not sag or settle.
- Spray Polyurethane Foam can eliminate the need for separate house wrap and vapor retarders.
- Spray Polyurethane Foam helps conserve energy, reducing CO2 emissions.
- Spray Polyurethane Foam contributes LEED credits for sustainable, green construction.
- Spray Polyurethane Foam can help reduce structural damage caused by high winds.
- Spray Polyurethane Foam contains no formaldehyde or ozone depleting substances.